Till about few years back Indian teenagers were a naive lot, living in the shadow of their parents but with the advent of western culture our teenagers our exposed to some goods and bad equally.
In trying to look cool or under peer pressure our teens start experimenting with drug abuse and get trapped in the vicious cycle of addiction. It is difficult to identify these problems because of hormonal changes they are going through like they become moody, secretive, independent and do not want to be told what to do or not.
But if you see some of these changes in your teen then it is time to do some serious thinking
- Loss of appetite, loss of weight.
- Dryness of mouth and blood shot eyes.
- Running nose, chronic cough.
- Fall in grades in scholastic performance.
- Not participating in co curriculum activities, hobbies.
- Sleeping excessively.
- Borrowing, lying, steeling and staying out late in night.
- Hanging out with outlaws.
- Spending excessively.
- Socially withdrawn.
- Agitated, aggressive, violent behavior.
These are some signs or symptoms that your teenaager might be indulging in drug abuse.
But don’t loose control or get panicky
Best way to tackle it is
- Talk to your child directly.
- Make it a two way discussion, hear him out.
- Do not yell, scream, or get violent.
- Don’t be judgmental.
- Do not feel guilty or carry the burden that it is because of you that he is abusing.
- Parents should not play the blame game.
- Join a support group.
- Seek professional help.
Identify a rehabilitation facility that is experienced and have a program designed for youth as teens have different emotional needs.
After the rehabilitation treatment is over there is a continuous need to be in an after -care program because addiction is a disease of relapses. Be honest with your doctor and your therapist, work on your communication with your child.
Do not unnecessarily suspect your child, give him limited freedom and make him responsible for his actions.
write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org for queries .
Want to know more about rehabilitation center, click on Drug rehabilitation centre in Delhi