Substance abuse disorder does not affect an individual but affects the entire family.
At Tulasi ,Family Therapy is designed to promote the well-being of those who live with or care about an adult with an addiction or mental disorder. Through education and guidance family learns that they can't control their loved one's addiction, but they can take responsibility for their own health and happiness.
The stress of living with alcohol or drug addiction can have physical, emotional, social, and spiritual consequences. Families of alcoholics and addicts often feel confused, frustrated, angry, and helpless. The family program helps to alleviate confusion and anxiety and promotes healing by identifying how addiction affects families and what family members can do to take care of themselves.
Loved ones of those with addiction learn that they can't control addiction, they didn't cause addiction, and they can't cure addiction. By becoming aware of the beliefs and experiences that shape their own behaviors, participants identify new, healthy ways of coping with addiction and relationships.
The therapy for family involves
- Understanding the disease of addiction and its impact on your patient and your family
- Learn about the effects of alcohol and drug use on your patient's development
- Develop new techniques for parenting a young person in recovery
- Gain support through interaction with other families, and realize the benefits of establishing a support network
- Plan for continued self-care and recovery