So in the last article we came to know that Schizophrenia is treatable and the best option would be admitting the patient in Psychiatric Hospital where they can be rehabilitated. Rehabilitation is “a set of measures that assist individuals who experience, or are likely to experience disability, to achieve and maintain optimal functioning in interaction with their environment” (World Health Organisation, 2011)
There has been stigma around Schizophrenia since decades because it was misperceived as a degenerative and disabling disease. The Psycho-Social rehabilitation has been proved to be successful with the Schizophrenia patient in achieving ‘recovery’.
Recovery is a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self- directed life, and strive to reach their full potential. (SAMHSA)
Goals of rehabilitation-
The functions of Psychiatric hospital are to enable with the best practices of Schizophrenia management and psychosocial functioning. Below are the principles on which Psychiatric Hospital thrives-
- Enabling the patient with Schizophrenia to live a normal life in the community. The goal is to bring focus away from the disease model towards a functional model.
- Re-instigating the interest of individuals again in social activities like meeting people, friends, and relatives. Going for outings and participating activities which bring pleasure.
- Restructuring the environment of home to suit the needs of the individual.
- Reducing the burden of the family by improving the quality of life for both patient and caregiver.
Types of best evidence-based treatment provided for patients of Schizophrenia in a Psychiatric Hospital-
- Individual-Centered Strategy- It aims in developing the patient’s skill in interacting with a stressful event and patient learns a vocation which will suit their current capabilities and help them to become independent.
- Ecological Strategy- It is directed towards developing the environmental resources to reduce stressors. It focuses on psycho-educating the family about the illness. It also focuses on expanding and reaching out to the support group networks which also facilitates recovery among the peer by self-help groups.
- Pharmacological Treatment- Anti-psychotic is the primary step in the treatment of Schizophrenia, because psychosis can be disturbing for the patient, these medicines are to reduce the acute symptoms in which the patient can harm self or others.
- Behaviour Therapy- Since the patient has learnt maladaptive behavior during the course of illness, behavior therapy aims to change it.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation- Engaging the person in such activities which involves their cognitive abilities like memory, decision making and problem solving.
- Vocational Rehabilitation- The major role in this is to identify the skills which are still present in the present in the patient. This therapy later can help individual to earn money himself/herself and become independent.
The aim of Psychiatric Hospital is totally different than of acute care hospitals because it attempts to provide social support to the patients in a way to make them a part of the society again.