There is currently no antivirus or vaccine to counter or treat the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The best way to prevent this ailment is to avoid being exposed to this virus by imbibing the following habits into everyday life:
- Refrain from going near individuals who have contracted the virus
- Avoid touching stray animals
- If you are feeling feverish or are experiencing any of the symptoms of the coronavirus induced disease, confine yourself within the four walls of your house and seek treatment remotely from home.
- Wipe your nasal discharge/phlegm with tissues and discard the used tissues immediately.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects such as door knobs, window panes, arms of chairs, tables, water bottles, lunch boxes etc. using household disinfectants & cleaning agents.
- It is advisable for individuals showing symptoms of corona virus induced disease and staff in healthcare settings such as hospitals to use face masks to curtail the spread of corona virus. However, it is not recommended for people who are well to wear a facemask for them to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- After using a washroom, coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose or before eating; wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Also, wash your hands more frequently than usual to prevent the onset of coronavirus induced disease.
- However, in case soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer which must contain 60% alcohol at least.